Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Chapters of Life



In my short 40 years of life, one of the things I have learned is that life is made up of many, many chapters. There are times in our lives when you have to close one chapter in life and open a new one and in doing so, it's ok.  It's really ok.  It's supposed to be that way.  Chapters can be important events in the timeline of your life like graduations, marriage, having kids and celebrating anniversaries.  It could even be things like going through a divorce, sending off a child to college or mourning a death.  It can also be things like the beginning of a friendship or ending one, leaving a job and/or starting a new one, even moving to a new city or country.  Maybe even starting a new hobby or following your dreams?  It all comes down to change.  I have learned that not only is change ok, it can be great!  It can be an exciting, new experience IF AND ONLY IF we are willing to change our perspective and attitude.  When dealing with a death of a loved one (I have lost my Dad, Uncle, Niece, grandparents and very dear friends along the way) and in this case, we have to choose to honor their memories and focus on the life they had while they were with us instead of the final moment that had here on earth.  Celebrate their life by remembering how they were when they were alive and well! 

Recently I have had to close a lot of chapters in my life only to reopen new ones and I must say, I am excited about it.  Does that mean that the last chapter or two or three didn't mean anything to me?  NO!  It means that I gained something from them and learned a lot about people and myself from it and I am who I am today because of it.  We grow and mature and change with each chapter we live.  God moves people in and out of these chapters and if we resist and fight it, we may never know the blessing that is contained in the very next chapter. 

I believe that true friends are people we meet and know over our lifetime that goes beyond time, distance and experiences.  True friends love and respect you no matter what is going on in your life and will stand the test of time.  I cherish all of my friendships I have made and have been blessed richly from them. 

Change can be scary but I choose to embrace it and go with it because I know my future is in God's hands.  He wants what is best for me and it is ALL GOOD!  Jeremiah 29:11


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mai Grace,

    Nice blog! I'm looking forward to reading more and trying some new recipes. I recently started a blog too - if you get a chance stop by and let me know what you think.
    Marissa

    ReplyDelete